September 29, 2011

Mr. Rogers on Grandparents and Other Smart People


Papa Lenny and Trevor






Mr. Rogers on Grandparents
and Other Smart People.....


Grandparents are both our past and our future.
In some ways they are what has gone before,
and in others they are what we will become.



Learning and loving go hand in hand. My grandfather was one of those people who loved to live and loved to teach. Every time I was with him, he’d show me something about the world or something about myself that I hadn’t even thought of yet. He’d help me find something wonderful in the smallest of things, and ever so carefully, he helped me understand the enormous worth of every human being. My grandfather was not a professional teacher, but the way he treated me (the way he loved me) and the things he did with me, served me as well as any teacher I’ve ever known.



Understanding love is one of the hardest things in the world.


It always helps to have people we love beside us
 when we have to do difficult things in life.
(I guess that is why we go to so many
Little League games and dance recitals.)

There’s something unique about being a member of a family
that really needs you in order to function well.
One of the deepest longings a person can have
is to feel needed and essential.

The greatest gift you can ever give is your honest self.


You bring all you ever were and are
to any relationship you have today.

In the external scheme of things,
shining moments are as brief as the twinkling of an eye,
yet such twinklings are what eternity is made of –
moments when we human beings can say
“I love you”
“I’m proud of you”
“I forgive you”
“I’m grateful for you”.
That is what eternity is made of:
invisible, imperishable good stuff.

Listening is where love begins.


The really important “great” things
are never center stage of life's dramas;
they're always "in the wings".
That's why it's so essential for us to be mindful of
the humble and deep
rather than the flashy and superficial.

G and Kate

One of the greatest dignities of humankind
is that each successive generation
is invested in the welfare of each new generation.



I find out more and more every day
how important it is for people
 to share their memories.

From Bamberg, Germany where I am
making memories to share.



0 comments:

Post a Comment